Why Employee’s Financial Issues Are An Employer’s Problem
USA Today recently reported that the #1 cause of stress in the workplace is personal finances. In research by The Personal Finance Employee Education Foundation, 30 million American workers (or 1 in 4 adults) report they are seriously financially distressed and dissatisfied with their personal finances. A Virginia Tech study shows that the typical employee uses up to 27 hours a month working on personal finances. Financially stressed employees use even more. Other research shows absenteeism, presenteeism, and health care costs are also impacted by financial stress. Although it is the employee’s problem, it is at an employer’s cost.
“61% of human resources professionals say financial stress is having some impact on employee work performance.”
“71% of Americans surveyed report money as the leading source of stress”
Are these some of your challenges?
- Employees seem disengaged in financial programs.
- Productivity suffers from employee financial issues.
- Personal financial problems crop up in discussion with employees and bosses.
- Some of the employee benefits that should be highly valued are not utilized by employees.
- Health care, including stress related items, keep increasing.
- Employees take time off to address financial issues.
- HR time ends up being utilized with employees facing and struggling with financial issues.
- Providing ROI on financial wellness programs has been difficult.
- You have a divergent workforce that needs different financial services.
- You don’t have the staff or resources to offer a program.
- Worker retention isn’t where you would like it to be.
Are these some of your goals?
- Provide cost effective & outstanding benefits to employees.
- Have educational programs that engage your employees and make a difference.
- Work to maintain health costs through various wellness programs.
- Incorporate financial wellness beyond enrollment and 401k services.
- Build your reputation as a desirable employment company.
- Have financial wellness programing tailored to fit your budget.
- Avoid the same old boring financial education stuff!
Our solid Financial Wellness Program has these components
How We Can Work Together
Together we create a club for your company’s employees to help them become fiscally fit. We tailor the program to fit your employees’ profile and budget.
Ways you can partner with us:
- Sponsor educational seminars on site
- Provide meeting space for weekly meetings
- Actively promote the program by providing web conferences for remote employees and spouses
- Make membership an employee benefit
- Subsidize full or partial discounted membership costs
Need Support to Convince Senior Management?
Here are some articles and research that include ROI.
- 2014 Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Report on Financial Wellness at Work
- 2014 Society for Human Resource Management:Executive Summary on Financial Wellness in the Workplace
- Employee Benefit News Articles
How Fiscal Fitness Clubs Work
Fiscal Fitness Clubs start with classes to accelerate financial knowledge and personal changes through classes, assignments, and help from a coach. After this, members join weekly meetings (in person or via web conferencing) that start with a private “check-in” that tracks weekly progress towards personal goals. It provides motivation and focus needed for behavior change to reduce debt, build savings, and control spending. The financial coach leads celebrating successes and strategies and solutions to challenges being faced by participants. Once a month, the group meeting is dedicated to a specific financial issue with practical, repeatable exercises that teach members to manage their financial resources covering:
JAN: Paperwork Management
FEB: Annual Financial Summary
APR: Investment Review
MAY: Life, Disability, LTC & Supplemental Health Plans
JUN: Retirement Planning & Projection
JUL: Other Goals (including debt management)
AUG: Liability Insurance Review
SEP: Legal Documents & Estate Planning
OCT: Employee Benefits Review
NOV: Year – End Tax Strategies & Actions
DEC: Annual Goal and Budget Review
We CAN help your employees develop the skills to become FISCALLY FIT and IMPROVE YOUR BOTTOM LINE.
“People are telling us that by tackling their money each month and with a group, they get a sense of accomplishment when completing the money challenges. They’re finding it easier as it goes, too!”